Maharaja High School, also called 'Rajas Free School', has completed 182 years of service to the cause of education. The school was started, initially as a primary school, in Mysuru, the cultural capital of Karnataka, in the year 1833 by his highness Mummadi Krishna Raja Wodeyar. For some time the school was located in Nazarabad. In 1863, the school was upgraded to High School. In the year 1879, the college classes were also started. In the year 1893, the school and college were shifted to the present Maharaja College Building. After the commencement of the University of Mysore, classes up to intermediate were shifted temporarily to Jaganmohan Palace. The British were heading the institution up to 1916. The High School and P. U. College were shifted to the present building in the year 1921. In the year 1972, two year P.U.C. came into existence.
'Rajas Free School' has a glorious past. It has a rich tradition, culture and tremendous reputation all over Karnataka. This esteemed institution has produced eminent scholars, poets, novelists, legislators, members of parliament, scientists, technologists, administrators, sports persons and so on. Students of those days were proud to get a seat in this institution. This institution has also nurtured excellent teachers, head masters and principals. It is a matter of pride that Karnataka's former Chief Minister D. Devaraj Urs, noted cartoonist R. K. Lakshman, journalist Venkata Krishnaiah (Tataiah), artist Varadachar, Journalist Khadri Shamanna, novelists R. K. Narayan and Chaduranga, famous photojournalist T.S. Satyan, scientist and M.R. Srinivasan were students of this great school.
Maharaja High School completed 150 years of service in 1983 and the celebrations to commemorate the event were held in February 1987, for three days. Late Swami Somanathanandaji, D.V. Urs, Agaram Rangaiah, H. Kempe Gowda were actively involved in organizing the event.
The School celebrated 175 years of its existence by utilizing the services and guidance of Sri. Vedanta Hemmige, Prof. P.M. Chikka Boaraiah, Dr. M.S. Nagaraja Rao, Dr. C. D. Srinivasa Murthy and B.S. Sridhara Raj Urs who were also associated with the 150 years celebrations. As part of the celebrations, a seminar on Wodeyars was held and city and district level cultural and sports competitions were conducted. The foundation stone for building "Mummadi Krishnaraja Wodeyar Auditorium" was laid and the statue of Mummadi Krishnaraja Wodeyar was installed.
Office Bearers and Members
Maharaja High School and PU College
175 years celebration committee